Midwife in Berlin ob the question: Do I have to sign up for a Birth prep Class?
One of these questions that I am often asked.
I know you might not want to read this, and yes, it is your decision but here me out. In my opinion, taking part in a birth prep class makes sense. But yes, of course it is your choice. If you are still contemplating I have a little something for you.
I sat down and put a few points together which shall explain to you why it is a good idea to sign up for an antenatal class. ( Antenatal class is the medical term for Birth Preparation Class)
10 Reasons why signing is a good idea
1. If you are English speaking and come from a different health system background it might be very beneficial for you to learn more about the German system.
2. To make an informed decision on what you want and need during birth you need to know what is out there.
3. Studies show that women who are in fear are more likely to experience more pain. If I know what is going on I do not need to be fearful.
4. It’s a great way to meet people that are in the exact same situation/ giving birth around the same time
5. It gives you and your partner the time to really focus on what is ahead of you and bring you on the same picture.
6. You will notice that there are more people in the same situation.
7. You will learn many practical things, like how to deal with contractions, what breastfeeding is about.
8. Some myths that you might believe in will be clarified.
9. You will learn that pregnancy, labour and birth doesn’t need to be scary.
10. It can make the partner more aware of what is going to happen and will fill him/her in in what he/she can do.
I love teaching my birth prep class weekends and they always have a very special dynamic. I mostly find it to be a very open and friendly time. Where, maybe, couples realize that they are not the only ones doing this, especially if they are in a foreign country and a different culture.
Little Fun Fact:
When I was pregnant the first time, my partner and I went to such a weekend and yes, even though I didn’t really learn much it was still an important time for me and us. Because we where doing this for us and our baby. But yes, I asked myself before: Do I have to sign on to a birth prep class?
Lots of love & Go leor de ghrá,